Nikkei Photo Contest 2017
The submission deadline for the Nikkei Photo Contest 2017 has closed. Thank you to all the participants!
The judging process has begun and we will announce winners shortly.
We invite all to our Nikkei Photo Exhibit on August 12 from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm hosted at the JCCCNC (1840 Sutter St, San Francisco). This exhibit will be a celebration of cultural heritage and of the photography and stories shared through the contest while honoring our winning recipients. Refreshments will be served.
To stay updated, follow us on Facebook @likeJCCCNC or on our website jcccnc.org/photocontest2017
Theme: What does Japanese American cultural heritage mean to you?
How to enter:
Capture a photo
Write a short, meaningful paragraph on how the photo relates to Japanese American culture
Email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name in the Subject line
Complete the online entry form
Deadline: Saturday, July 22 at 8pm PST
- You do not need to be a professional photographer!
- Japanese ancestry is not required. It is open to all backgrounds with a connection to the Japanese American culture.
- We encourage all ages and generations to apply.
TAKE A PHOTO, TELL ITS STORY TO WIN $500
San Francisco, CA – The Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California (JCCCNC) is sponsoring a photo contest with the prompt: “What does Japanese American cultural heritage mean to you?” The goal of the contest is to examine how the community defines and celebrates Japanese American “cultural heritage.” To enter the contest, simply capture an image of an item, person, place, artifact, celebration, etc. and include a short, meaningful story to accompany the picture. Japanese ancestry is not required; the contest encourages all photography skill levels, ages, and backgrounds with a connection to Japanese American culture. The submission deadline is 8 P.M. PST on Saturday, July 22, 2017.
The grand prize winner will receive $500. Three Finalists will be awarded $250 each, and 3 Honorable Mentions will be awarded $100 each. Judges will consider the meaningfulness of the description, the content of the photo, the connection between the photo and the description, and image quality.
This contest is both an opportunity to celebrate and share culture with others, but it is also a thought exercise to encourage discussion and conversation surrounding cultural heritage. The theme is intentionally broad to encourage a wide variety of memories, stories, and creative angles. Everyone has their own unique story, now is your chance to tell it!
Looking for inspiration? Visit our Resource Page .
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.
The Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California (JCCCNC) invites photographers to enter its Nikkei Photo Contest 2017 (“Contest”). BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, YOU ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO ALL THE FOLLOWING RULES, TERMS, AND CONDITIONS.
The contest is open to all amateur and professional photographers. All ages are encouraged; children under the age of 18 must have permission from their parent or legal guardian to enter the contest. Children under the age of 12 may receive help from a parent or guardian; however, the material and content must be their own. We welcome all photography skill levels.
Japanese ancestry is not required, contest is open to anyone who has a connection to Japanese American (JA) culture or the JA community.
- Submission dates: June 22nd – July 22nd (All submissions must be received by 07/22/17 at 8 P.M. PST to be eligible for the prizes)
- Photograph must be taken by you
- Only one submission per person
- Online entry form must be completely filled out. Link can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/H0lRFDzPXhkOeLNn2
- Photos can also be mailed to
JCCCNC – Photo Contest
1840 Sutter Street, Suite 201
San Francisco, CA 94115
- Opening Exhibit – August 12th, 3pm – 6pm at the JCCCNC: where your art will be displayed and your story told. Submissions will be displayed at this event
- Contest winners will be notified prior to the Opening Exhibit
Grand Prize: $500
3 Finalists: $250 each
3 Honorable Mentions: $100 each
The photo, the story behind the photo, and the connection between both will be considered by the judges when determining the winners. There will be 5 judges – with varied backgrounds, interests, and experience.
- You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit—including ownership if applicable—other than those rights licensed in these rules. By entering the Contest, you hereby grant to the JCCCNC:
(i) a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, and publicly perform the photographs you submit to the Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California, and
(ii) the right to use your name in promotions and other publications.
- Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. The JCCCNC will not be liable for any errors in attribution other than to make reasonable efforts to correct such errors. The JCCCNC has final approval of any language that appears on its Web site, in its newsletter, or brochures with any of the photos and will not promote or endorse third-party products or services.