Originating from Japan, Haiku is the shortest form of poetry in the world. In a short descriptive verse, it captures a moment in the poet’s life, or simply expresses the beauty of nature. Haiku is now enjoyed in many countries around the world.
JAL FOUNDATION biennially organize ‘World Children’s Haiku Contest’, and we are happy to announce that the 15th contest is to be held this year.
The theme of the 15th contest is ‘ Living Things.’
Through the contest, children are given the opportunity to compose haiku that will encompass their memories.
The experience of composing haiku will also become a part of their pleasant memories of their childhood.
All Grand-prize haiku will be collected and published next year as an anthology titled ‘Haiku By World Children.’
Haiku Contest Rules
- One entry per child (either typed or handwritten) on the theme of “Living Things”.
- Applicants must be the age of 15 and under on January 15, 2018.
- The haiku must be accompanied by hand-drawn or hand-crafted artwork on the same page, using A4-sized paper (21 cm x 29.7 cm) or letter-sized paper (8.5 in. x 11 in.).
- Glue the application form on the back of the work.
- Click HERE for Poster and Application form
- Any form of artwork (except photographs or digital images) can be submitted.
- Every entry must be the original and unpublished work of the child himself/herself.
- Assistance by others(parents,other adults,siblings, or other children)is prohibited.
- The haiku must be presented in three short lines.
- All rights (for compositions and artwork) will be reserved by JAL FOUNDATION.
Entry fee: FREE
- Contest results will be announced on the JAL FOUNDATION website in June, 2018.
- Haiku By World Children, Volume.15 will be shown in the entertainment program on Boeing 787 international Japan Airlines flights.
Submission’s Period: From 1st October 2017 to 15th January 2018
Guidelines for submission and Entry Form：Please attach this application form* to the back of submitted work with glue. (*this link will take you to the JAL Foundation contest page)